Elder Law including Guardianship and Administration
Guardianship and Administration Applications to VCAT are areas in which we have extensive experience.
Elder law focuses specifically on issues affecting our clients as they age including their rights and responsibilities.
We understand that ageing can create complex legal issues for you and your loved ones. It is therefore important to plan ahead by ensuring that you have a will and powers of attorney that meet your wishes.
Elder financial abuse may also occur where an older person is taken advantage of and suffers financial loss as a result of the misuse and misappropriation of financial resources or property. We are able to provide advice and assistance to older persons and their families on all legal issues associated with ageing including the protection of assets.
Elder financial abuse is not uncommon and often occurs within a family. It is usually perpetrated by a trusted person, adult child, another family member, spouse, partner, friend or carer. Elder abuse can also be perpetrated by strangers through online fraud and investment scams.
Aged Care Accommodation
We provide advice regarding aged care accommodation and agreements. The aged care industry is subject to a complicated legislative framework. We advise those seeking to enter into aged care accommodation of all varieties, those having issues and complaints with their aged care accommodation and those seeking to exit or sell their accommodation including deceased estates.
We can assist in a wide range of areas including:
- Appointment of guardians and administrators;
- Dealing with disputes relating to elder law;
- Assisting families and administrators and guardians with elder law issues;
- Acting for administrators and guardians with elder law issues;
- Rickards Legal acting as administrators and guardians for elder persons; and
- Applications to VCAT for all necessary Orders in the area of elder law including necessary documentation and appearances.